This part of ISO 24534 provides requirements for electronic registration identification (ERI) that are based on an identifier assigned to a vehicle (e.g. for recognition by national authorities) suitable to be used for:
- electronic identification of local and foreign vehicles by national authorities;
- vehicle manufacturing, in-life maintenance and end-of-life identification (vehicle life cycle management);
- adaptation of vehicle data (e.g. for international resales);
It adheres to privacy and data protection regulations.
This part of ISO 24534 specifies the interfaces for a secure exchange of data between an ERT and an ERI reader or ERI writer in or outside the vehicle using asymmetric encryption techniques.
NOTE 1: The onboard device containing the ERI data is called the electronic registration tag (ERT). This part of ISO 24534 includes:
- the application layer interface between an ERT and an onboard ERI reader or writer;
- the application layer interface between the onboard ERI equipment and external ERI readers and writers;
- security issues related to the communication with the ERT.
NOTE 2: The vehicle identifiers and possible additional vehicle data (as typically contained in vehicle registration certificates) are defined in ISO 24534-3.
NOTE 3: The secure application layer interfaces for the exchange of ERI data with an ERI reader or writer are specified in both this part of ISO 24534 and ISO 24534-5.
Publication date: July 2010