ISO/IEC TR 24714-1:2008-Information technology — Biometrics — Jurisdictional and societal considerations for commercial applications — Part 1: General guidance
This part of ISO/IEC TR 24714 gives guidelines for the stages in the life cycle of a system’s biometric and associated elements. This covers the following:
- the capture and design of initial requirements, including legal frameworks;
- development and deployment;
- operations, including enrolment and subsequent usage;
- interrelationships with other systems;
- related data storage and security of data;
- data updates and maintenance;
- system evaluation and audit;
- controlled system expiration.
The areas addressed are limited to the design and implementation of biometric technologies with respect to the following:
- legal and societal constraints on the use of biometric data;
- accessibility for the widest population;
- health and safety, addressing the concerns of users regarding direct potential hazards as well as the possibility of the misuse of inferred data from biometric information.
The intended audiences for this part of ISO/IEC TR 24714 are planners, implementers and system operators of biometric systems.
Specification and assessment of government policy are not within the scope of this part of ISO/IEC TR 24714.
Publication date: December 2008