ISO 15394:2009-Packaging — Bar code and two dimensional symbols for shipping, transport and receiving labels
This International Standard:
- specifies the minimum requirements for the design of labels containing linear bar code and two-dimensional symbols on transport units to convey data between trading partners;
- provides for traceability of transported units via a unique transport unit identifier (licence plate);
- provides guidance on the formatting on the label of data presented in linear bar code, two-dimensional symbol or human readable form;
- provides specific recommendations regarding the choice of bar code symbologies, and specifies quality requirements and classes of bar code density;
- makes recommendations as to label placement, size and the inclusion of free text and any appropriate graphics;
- provides guidance on the selection of label material.
This International Standard is not applicable to the direct printing on to kraft coloured corrugated surfaces.
NOTE: Guidance on the direct printing of bar code symbols on to kraft coloured corrugated surfaces can be found in texts such as The Fibre Box Handbook .
Publication date: April 2009